Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Rough Beginnings

June 16, 2010
Before beginning this blog I had to double check my watch because I didn’t believe only one day has passed. I left Denver yesterday afternoon and had an uneventful flight to Atlanta with a planned layover of 45 minutes. Little did I know, Mother Nature wanted me to extend my stay. I eventually boarded my flight to Jacksonville at 1:30 a.m., 4 ½ hours behind schedule. Then to add insult to injury, I heard an announcement that due to the large volume of canceled and misdirected flights all Delta passengers would receive their luggage at the earliest possible time tomorrow. This was not going to work for me! I purposefully left Denver 12 hours earlier than necessary to prevent sleep deprivation and a red-eye flight. I tried to remain positive – after all, my flight was still leaving!
My positivity paid off and when I arrived at the Jacksonville Airport at 3:00 a.m. and my luggage arrived shortly after. I called the hotel to arrange for a shuttle pick-up and soon I was making my way into a queen-sized bed, dressed in my own pajamas with teeth brushed! I got a few hours of shut-eye before receiving a phone call from the front desk that my ride had arrived. Let the journey begin! I said a quick prayer, knowing that I was about to step into the land of no return. I would forever be changed by the people I was about to meet and the experience that would soon follow.
Waiting in the lobby was my driver, Troy, from White Oak Conservation Center. I was the first of his pick-ups, but soon I was joined by Ademola and Ayoteju from Nigeria, Sridhar from India, Albert from Tanzania, and Sukuman from Thailand. It was a quick drive to the White Oak plantation. Within 30 minutes I was greeted by the zebra, frogs, and lizards that call this place home. I received my room assignment, Woods Cottage. I am the only American staying in this four-bedroom cottage….I love it! My housemates include the Tanzanians, the Nigerians, and Amelie, my French-Canadian roommate. I am helping Amelie master her English and she promised to teach me a few French expressions. We will learn Swahili together!

Woods Cottage, my home for the first 2 weeks

We were all quick friends! We bonded over a game of bowling (something new to the International students), a box lunch, and Elvis music over the jukebox. White Oak is too much! I didn’t expect this luxury! Our cottage is outfitted with a fridge stocked with cans of soda, a fully-functional (and free) washer and dryer, and each bedroom has its own attached bathroom. The plantation has two swimming pools, tennis courts, running/hiking trails, bicycles, and a dance studio. Inside the dining hall there are tapestries on the wall dating back to the 16th century. Apparently, Mr. Gilman, the creator of this magnificent place, had a taste for the performing arts, photography, and conservation!
We had a quick introduction from the Envirovet staff after getting acclimated followed by a wonderful dinner cooked by the White Oak staff (chicken with roasted vegetables and rice pilaf). I survived the ice-breaker exercise so now the good stuff can begin. On the schedule for tomorrow: ecosystem health as a discipline, linkages between human health and the environment, and Grassroots Soccer! Bonne nuit!

Amelie in our room in Woods Cottage

1 comment: