Thursday, June 24, 2010

Getting out of the Classroom

June 24, 2010
Me with an anesthetized zebra

  Today was truly one that I will never forget!  For years I have looked longingly at pictures of veterinarians and students with their hands on exotic species like elephants and tigers - now I have some of my own.  After spending a day learning about chemical immobilization and anesthesia of wildlife in the classroom, the students of Envirovet 2010 got to get out in the field and try it for ourselves!  Amelie and I woke up at 5:30 this morning and quickly ate breakfast in the Lake Lodge.  Then we boarded vans and headed towards the animal enclosures.  On the schedule for today: physical exam and hoof trims of 2 zebra and a bongo, and the collection of semen from a gerenuk.  We divided into 4 teams and each were assigned a task: intubation, heart and respiration monitoring, temperature monitoring, catheterization, and injections.  We quickly realized the need for the early start - the heat by 7:15 a.m. came as a surprise to us all!  We survived, the animals survived, and we've got some great pictures to prove it!
  Yesterday we learned the basics of field immobilization, including dart making, rifle shooting, and gun and drug safety.  I got to fill and assemble my very first dart!  I also got to practice shooting them out of blow pipes and rifles.  I was pleasantly surprised to see I even made my target a few times (maybe I could make it in the bush!)  We had a blast and have some stories and experiences to last a lifetime!
Me in front of my successful darting of the elk
  Tonight after dinner is a surprise "wildlife adventure" with the senior vets of the San Diego Wild Animal Park and Disney's Animal Kingdom.  God only knows what these guys have up their sleeves - what a bunch of goofsters!  This is a fun crowd - no wonder I can't get any sleep!
 

1 comment:

  1. How fun Amanda!! I am so excited for you and feel so blessed that God has afforded you this opportunity. It is YOUR hard work and perseverance that makes YOUR dreams come true. God helps those who help themselves and your dedication to our earth and its inhabitants is blessing all of us....I love you!

    ReplyDelete